Miss Z Wade – Art Lead
At Liskeard Hillfort we believe that every child has the potential to become an artist. We recognise that art and design stimulates creativity and imagination and enables children of all abilities to communicate what they see, think and feel. We encourage children to explore ideas and meanings through the work of a range of artists and designers whilst considering the role that art has had on contemporary life and that of different times. The appreciation and enjoyment of the visual arts enriches all of our lives and supports each child to develop their own skills of creativity, independence and self-reflection whilst enabling them to understand their own experiences of the world.
Children are encouraged to take creative risks and learn through exploring and experimenting with a range of different mediums. Children will develop their understanding of the visual language of art through effective teaching that considers the sequence of lessons and learning experiences. Our art and design curriculum develops children’s critical abilities and understanding of their own and others’ cultural heritages through studying a diverse range of male and female artists. The skills and knowledge that children will develop are mapped across each year group and throughout the school to ensure progression. A similar focus on skills means that children are given opportunities to practise and develop mastery in the key processes of art: drawing, painting, printing, textiles and sculpture.
The aims of teaching art and design in our school are:
- To engage, inspire and challenge pupils, equipping them with the knowledge and skills to experiment, invent and create their own works of art, craft and design.
- As pupils progress through school, they should begin to think critically and develop a more rigorous understanding of art and design. They should also know how art and design both reflect and shape our history
- To produce creative work, exploring their ideas and recording their experiences.
- To become proficient in drawing, painting, sculpture and other art, craft and design techniques
- To evaluate and analyse creative works using the language of art, craft and design.
- To know about great artists, craft makers and designers, and understand the historical and cultural development of their art forms.
- To identify and apply key formal of art including, tone, colour, line, form, pattern, texture and composition.